The Spirit of St. Louis, flown by Charles A. Lindberg, was the first airplane to make a non-stop crossing from New York to Paris on May 20th and 21st, 1927, flying for 33 hours and 30 minutes without interruption. Lindbergh took off from Roosevelt Field an airport on Long Island, New York, on May 20th. He had slept little the night before! His much-overloaded plane, over 1,000 pounds overweight, barely got off the ground and missed a telephone pole by less than 20 feet. Lindbergh had a lot of trouble not falling asleep and by sticking his head out the side window (there was no front window!) every now and then, the cold wind blew him awake again. After about 28 hours of flying, he saw the coast of Ireland appear below him and realised he was on course for his final destination: Le Bourget airport near Paris. While he was still many miles from Paris, he saw the lights appear on the horizon long before his arrival. His plane purposely had no windows in the front (to accommodate the engine and fuel tank), so he had to angle to look out of his window to land. That was quite a job with many thousands of people waiting for him. When he landed, he immediately wrote history.
This kit provides a beautiful scale model of the famous plane with which Lindbergh performed his feat.
- Measurements: wingspan 87,6 cm / 34,5 inch
- Material: Balsa wood and plastic parts
- Scale: 1/16
- If you want to cover the frame you have built, you will only need to purchase a varnish to cover the provided tissue cloth with. We sell this but it is not on our webshop
- Tools needed: a sharp knife, some pins and glue
Paul Guillow's was a First World War fighter pilot who started his own plane model company in 1926. Guillow's is still going strong today and manufactures its high quality models in the USA.
- The Netherlands: EUR 5,- Free over EUR 50,- (Free returns)
- Europe: EUR 11,- to EUR 22,50 Free over EUR 150.-
- Rest of the World: EUR 25,- Free over EUR 200,-
Please follow this link for full shipping and return info and for estimated delivery times. Or pick up in one of our stores.